Start with our south suburban neighborhoods and consider driving north and west to Denver, Lakewood, Golden and Arvada; north and east to Aurora. There are stage productions for everyone Some …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
Start with our south suburban neighborhoods and consider driving north and west to Denver, Lakewood, Golden and Arvada; north and east to Aurora. There are stage productions for everyone
Some organizations consider this time of year the start of a new season, as well as a new year, while others start the season in September and run to June ... Live theater is a specific choice and actors are thrilled to see you in an audience
Here is a start-of 2019 selection:
• Opening Jan. 4 is “She Loves Me,” staged by Highlands Ranch-based Performance Now Theatre Company, which performs at Lakewood Cultural Center, 470 S. Allison Parkway, Lakewood. Based on a 1937 Hungarian play, “Parfumarie,” it first appeared as a 1940 American film, “The Shop Around the Corner”; a 1949 film, with Van Johnson and Judy Garland, “Good Old Summertime”; revived in 1993 and thereafter. Readers will recognize the story about secret pen pals ... Plays through Jan. 20 at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday and 2 p.m. Saturday, Sunday. Tickets: $20-$36, performancenow.org, 303-987-7845.
• “Casa Valentina,” a musical for adults, set in the 1960s Catskills, runs Jan. 11-Feb. 3 at Town Hall Arts Center, 2450 W. Main St., Littleton. Performances: Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. R-rated. Tickets: townhallartscenter.org, 303-794-2787, ext. 5.
• “The Newsies” plays Jan. 18 to Feb. 19 at PACE Center. 20000 Pikes Peak Ave., Parker. See parkerarts.org for ticket times and prices or call 303-805-6800. Based on the 1992 movie and an actual news event.
• Classic Album Live performs: “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” an all-time favorite album, at 8 p.m. Jan 19 at Lone Tree Arts Center, 10025 Commons St., Lone Tree. Tickets: lonetreeartscenter.org or 720-509-1000.
• “Wakey Wakey” by Will Eno plays Jan. 18-Feb. 16 at Benchmark Theatre, 1580 Teller St., Lakewood. Performances: 8 p.m. Thursday, Friday, Saturday; 6 p.m. Sunday. Tickets: $25/$30. benchmarktheatre.com, 303-519-9059.
• “The Pinter Plays: Early Classic One-Acts” by Nobel Laureate Harold Pinter will be performed Jan 4-Feb. 2 by longstanding area theatre company Germinal Stage, in a new home at the John Hand Theater, 7653 East First Place, Denver (Lowry). Performances: 7:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays; 2 p.m. Sundays. Tickets, $17-$25: 303-455-7108, germinalstage.com or at the door.
• Arvada Black Box Repertory, 6901 Wadsworth Blvd. Arvada: “Diary of Anne Frank,” Feb. 1-May 17; “The Moors” Feb. 22-May 18 regional premiere; “Sin Street Social Club” March 15-May 19 world premiere; Main Stage: “Travlin: The 1930s Harlem Musical” April 9-28. Tickets: arvadacenter.org, 720-898-7200.
• Curious Theatre Company, 1080 Acoma St., Denver: “Gloria” by Branden Jacobs-Jenkins plays Jan. 12 to Feb. 16 — a tale about journalists. Performances: 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday, Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets: curioustheatre.org, 303-623-0524.
• Vintage Theatre, 1468 Dayton St., Aurora: (two theatres) “Betrayal” by Harold Pinter, Jan. 11-Feb. 17. “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder” (Tony) Feb. 8-March 24. Performances: 7:30 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays; 2:30 p.m. Sundays. Tickets: vintagetheatre.com, 303-856-7830.
• Aurora Fox, 9900 E. Colfax Ave., Aurora: “Life Sucks” by Aaron Posner, plays Feb. 22-Mar. 17. Tickets: aurorafox.org, 303-739-1970.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.